Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Joys of Raw Foods!!!

First off,
Yesterday was good.
I went to St. Petersburg to visit my mom.  She is not feeling great.   A good friend of mine.. D. and I were going to take her with us to Leafy Greens - the Raw restaurant in St. Pete but instead we brought her take out from there.

The meal was insanely good.  I am constantly blown away and very encouraged when I eat at these places.
Leafy Greens is different from Cafe 118 here in Orlando.  I love both but Cafe 118 uses more nuts and seeds and coconut oil.. more heavy meals (which I love and really helped me transition) while Leafy Greens is less heavy, still uses these ingredients but with a lighter touch.  The meal was much more delicate in taste than my last one at cafe 118.  But again I love cafe 118 and am so grateful it's here!


Leafy Greens, St. Petersburg, Florida..
At Leafy Greens yesterday I had an absolutely incredible Green Thai Curry soup... 
I didn't get any pix (always forget my camera!) but I did find a few on line of a couple of the things we had but alas not the soup.

But my very fav was this Green Thai Curry soup.  It was so good that I ordered a few things yesterday to make it. 

Info on the Thai curry soup..
The soup base had lime juice and coconut water blended with young coconut.. it also had a slight ginger taste and inside it was thinly cubed (like 6mm cubes) zucchini, red bell and cucumber.. It also had chunks of avocado and bean sprouts floating on top and a thin round of lime.. and thin shreds of basil.  It was so good!!!  It was room temp and something about the flavors really lend themselves to being room temp.  It was fresh and zippy and such an incredible flavor.  I will absolutely figure out how to make this soup!

I had a pizza slice too..


This was AMAZING!  I wish I had a piece right now!  Fantastic combo of flavors.  The base crust was flexible, I checked the menu on the website and they said it had hempseeds, walnuts and I think zucchini I remember in the crust.  It was spread with cashew hummus and olive tapanade with the red bell and zucchini and cucumber cubes and olives and very thinly sliced (and maybe somewhat dehydrated?) onion. It had Italian spices dusted on top. The menu said it had shredded fennel on top. Also could just add a few fennel seeds to the top instead. Green fennel sprigs (the dill like pieces on fresh fennel) were on top..

D. had a great wrap sandwich. 

The bread was so good!!  I get excited about things like this because I actually love veggie sandwiches even before I was veggie.  and there would be so much you could do with this bread.. Right now I am thinking making it thicker and using it as a breakfast bread and topping it with avo, onion and tomato and CAPERS... OMG love those salty little babies!

The wrap D. had also had the same cashew hummus on it as I did on my pizza.  It was very good and LARGE.  They said the onion bread was made out of yellow and red onions, sunflower seeds and and nama shoyu.. I am sure it had to have something else to hold it together.. I am going to figure this out!

The meal was excellent. My friend D. also had a chocolate macaroon..

I have to learn how to make these.. mom loves these.. would be cool to make some while I am visiting her next time.  Very rich and decadent and Raw cacao is incredibly good for you.. YES.. freaking chocolate that is good for you!  It had chocolate sauce drizzled over it.  I ordered some Raw chocolate sauce from The Wilderness Family on line, and excellent source for Raw and organic supplies.

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com

I also ordered other things from them yesterday that I will talk about when they come in and MOST EXCITING!!! I ORDERED MY EXCALIBUR DEHYDRATOR!! 

These bad boys are expensive and I have been saving for a month for it.

I am going to be able to do so much with it.  I am very first thing going to learn how to make those onion wraps like D. had on her sandwich!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! i'm still working on replicating the onion/sunflower seed bread but it will come together eventually. tonight - avocado and cucumber soup. and we have cashew milk made in the fridge. you rock - thanks for turning me onto the restaurants.

    ReplyDelete