Sunday, September 5, 2010

Holy Freaking Grocery Bill, OMG!

Well I have been kidding myself that it's going to be cheaper to live the Raw food lifestyle.  I am spending almost double what I was.  Fresh produce is crazy expensive here (Orlando) even BEFORE its organic! .  I will have to find other places to cut back because even in this short three weeks, I am already seeing a difference in my body, my skin and my spirit.

I feel lighter, calmer and more peaceful.  My ever on-going adult acne on my chin has cleared and I have had this stuff for years.  I actually got out of bed this morning and couldn't believe how good I actually looked just crawling out of bed! 

Well Yesterday was a good and very busy day. DH and I stocked up on RAW foods for the week (and a few Amy’s organic emergency meals for him - I can believe he is as "on-board" with me on this as he is!).

I am making 5 raw meals for dinners this week. Raw Lasagna, Thai Salad, Asian Cucumber Salad, Portobello steaks with jicama/avocado/tahini salad and zucchini spaghetti with creamy marinara sauce.. actually made that last night and MAN, OMG this stuff is amazing!! And I am making my SW crackers to go with salads.
Here is how I made the sauce for the spiraled zucchini last night:

1 C tomato (used a large beautiful dark burgundy heirloom tomato from WF!)
1 C sundried tomato (not considering this true Raw as I am sure they dehydrate at too high temp and I don't have my dehydrator yet!)
2 T balsamic
3 T red wine (I guess wine is not raw either?  Well this is HIGH Raw..)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I love spicy red sauce)
1-2 cloves garlic (vein removed) used one large
1 date
dulse (a large pinch for the mega minerals and a salty flavor)
1/3 C cashews


I forgot to soak my cashews.. need to get a day ahead of myself so I know what I am doing.. I want to make my raw lasagna soon but it has a nut layer so I need to soak them.

This creamy marinara sauce was AMAZING!!! We needed two zucchini each (had enough but had to use some I had bought for the lasagna so next time buy extra zuch)! We added a sprinkle of raw pine nuts (which DH liked!) on top and it was so good.. truly amazing.

I want to learn to make this Raw cashew Parmesan I had read about.. it’s aged. I have seen Raw foodies talking about it on forums. I want to try several of the cheeses.. AGAIN I need my damned dehydrator.
Spent $260 dollars yesterday! At this rate I will spend $400 more a month on food that I was originally!  I am pretty sure I have almost everything I need for the week but OMG..

I did get some things I won’t need again for quite a while like dulse, nutritional yeast, etc.. but crap.. that’s lots of money… I hope I didn’t buy too much produce.. I need to start going to the grocery store TWICE a week.. so I can make sure I don’t get too much produce and it end up going bad… We actually went to Walmart AND Whole foods.. (bought a few veggies like zuch, carrots, cucumbers that I will peel so they didn't have to be organic IMO )and also some organic that Walmart is now carrying.. I actually don't like Walmart.. it gets on my nerves to go there, not going to elaborate on that *smile*, so I didn’t even spend all the money at WF.  (DH calls it "Whole Paycheck".!)

I need to start shopping at farmers markets maybe? I did get pine nuts –Fucking $15!!! But they are for two - three recipes. I got raw cashews that will last a while I also got lots of greens for green smoothies that DO need to be Organic from WF.  I also got some bulk stuff.

On Detox:
I have constant diarrhea (sorry, TMI I now) but I have decided this is how my body detoxes and I will just make sure to stay hydrated. I am going to have MORE greens and continue with the nothing but fruit till noon for a while but make a green smoothie for lunch.. and have lots of greens with my dinner. I want to work on getting alkaline.  Other than that I had flu like symptoms for a couple of days (mostly hit me at night) and sinus yuck for a few days but I think I am over most of that.  Today is day 16 I think.

Now for a bit of bitching:
I have to write about something that really surprised (and honestly upset me a little yesterday). When I was at Walmart, as we were checking out I happily commented on all the produce we were buying and the lady that was checking us out commented “you know being vegetarian is not good for you”.. It infuriated me!  The lady was much larger than me (100# more I would estimate) and I am considered obese at my weight.  Her little face was very bloated also, it was sad, but what really saddened me even more was what looked like acne all over her face and arms . I was blow away that she would comment on my diet, we were complete strangers… maybe if she was in amazing shape I could see her wanting to voice an opinion about diet but ... I could not believe it and I got very upset.  At the time I was put off, now I wish I had been further along in my path and could have commented back and maybe given her some knowledge and encouragement but I couldn't, not really and I was sort of struck numb and didn't know WHAT to say!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have so much to do today so I HAVE to get off the computer but wanted to say again how amazing I feel!  Well here's to another beautiful Raw day and a peaceful Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment