Sunday, August 14, 2011

$$$$ Woes...

Ok.. I updated my stats!!! Yeah!!! 6 pounds gone!

So I am having $$$ Woes.  We are SO tight cash wise right now that I am really struggling with the cost of staying Raw. 

I am not going to come off for sure just need to simplify so next week it's going to be mostly just fruits for breakfasts and salads for lunches and dinners.

I have to have GOOD homemade Raw dressings for my salads and I have enough nuts in stock.  All are soaked and dehydrated and ready to go. 

Damn avocados are freaking $2.50 each right now but I HAVE to have them.  They are important in my salads and one of the main ingredients in one of my dressings.  They will have to be purchased.

No more trips to Whole Foods (ha!  I mean WholePaycheck!).  No more Gourmet Raw.  No more nuts and seeds (but I really do have enough already good to go).

I will just concentrate on Fruits and veggies and good dressings.  I am not even going to concern myself with only buying organic this week.  I KNOW organic is better but eating this way is MUCH better than the way I was eating even if my fruits and veggies can't always be organic.  I will wash and or peel what I can but I am not going to stress on it.

I have to buy meals for DH to have for lunches at work.  We usually buy Kashi or Amy's Organics for him so that is a good cost too.  It's hard but I know I can do it.  I know I will have what I need to succeed. 

I also have been reading Lisa Viger's "Raw on $10/day" site lately.  http://rawon10.blogspot.com/ It's not quite that cheap here for the same produce since I live 3 miles from Disney's main gate all prices are spiked here for everything from gas to groceries but the site helps for sure. 

Hell I would rather just not eat than to give in and eat crap cheap junk !#@*&#*!.

I woke up worried and I need to just let it go and know I will find a way.  It will get easier next month!

WELL I have to write about my salad last night!  Best salad I have had in a LONG time!
I used red leaf lettuce, spinach, dehydrated tomato, (I made a huge batch of these in my dehydrator and they are so sweet!), roma tomato, green olives, cucumber and made my very fav. "cheeze".. 

I call it Basil Rawmesean.  It's REALLY good and really easy.  It's just 1/4 C pine nuts, 1/4 C soaked pumpkin seeds, 1 C fresh basil, juice of one lemon and 1/4 C EVOO.. you whirl it up in the mixer and spread it thin on your teflex and dehydrate overnight (I did mine about 12 hours).. crumble it up and sprinkle on the salad.. OMG!  It's really, really good.  

I topped it with my very fav. Cashew Miso dressing:  1/3 C Soaked cashews, 1 heaping T Miso, 2 T Raw vinegar, 2-3 cloves raw garlic (always use a garlic press, IMO chopping it just does not do.. you want very tiny bits of raw garlic so it mixes really well), juice of one lemon and JUST enough water so that it will blend.  REALLY excellent dressing!  I think a dressing makes a salad, especially for me right now just getting on Raw.. I like salads but I LOVE a good dressing. 

I will post more about dressings I make this week.  I am going to do an Avocado one and I have a very fav. Japanese Ginger/Apple one I love I use allot.. It's wonderful.

Detox:
Well the only symptom right now is sleep disturbances.  I am not sleeping very deep and I am waking about 2 hours earlier than I normally do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Breakfast this morning was our dessert I had planned for us last night that we were too full after the amazing salad to eat.

I froze 4 bananas and made:

Raw Chocolate Banana Nutty Ice Cream:

for two.. freeze 4 bananas

in a vitamix or other powerful blender pour about 1" of water in the bottom, toss in broken up frozen banana and two heaping teaspoons raw cocoa powder (I recently read that most raw cocoa powder is suspected to be treated at too high of a temp to really be raw.. and now to only trust "Big Tree Farms" cocoa as it is very strictly made. http://bigtreefarms.com/big/index.php/page/product/74/111/111 )

Chopped raw soaked nuts of your choice.. I used soaked and dehydrated pecans and cashews.. sprinkled on top.

This was of course amazing.  DH loved it. 
It is for sure VERY stimulating and I feel a bit strung out on it!  I think my body is becoming more sensitive the more Raw I eat.  I will sure use Raw chocolate from time to time for a treat but certainly not every day.. wow!

3 comments:

  1. Good morning,
    I found your blog on RawFoodRehab. I am a member too.
    Your post hit the nail on the head. Groceries,
    produce especially is so expensive. I am always looking for sales and great deals. Avocados are so expensive. I've been using them sparingly that is for sure.
    I have been on the lookout for great salad dressings. I think a great salad dressing makes a great salad. I will give your Cashew Miso dressing a try. Sounds wonderful.
    I also keep an eye on Raw on $10/day. I find alot of great recipes there.

    I've been high raw for about 2 years now. I lost 20 lbs and hoping to shed a few more.

    Lovely blog. Great, personal and fun.
    frannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Keep on the raw. It does not have to be expensive, it really depends what you are buying. I have been raw since January and let me tell you, my motto is simple and inexpensive. Check out my blog, I have lots of simple recipes. Make smoothies, very inexpensive yet, very good for you. You can make zucchini pasta etc. the possibilities are endless.
    www.rawtherapy.blogspot.com. I am also a member of the Raw food rehab, and yes the blog raw on 10$ a day is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Just found your blog on RawFoodRehab,I am a member too. I completely agree with you and food these days are so expensive but not compromising is the hardest but most rewarding thing, right? I just started a blog and would love to see you there:)http://ppriscylla.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete