Monday, August 23, 2010

So much to learn...

Well today is two days totally veggie and about 60-75% Raw. 

I've been reading and taking in as much as I can.  I have a very long way to go.  I really need a good dehydrator, I have an old round ronco that I inherited.. only the two top racks really are ok to use.. the lower ones allow the food to get to hot. 

I just got back from the store.. bought some tomatos to dehydrate.  I LOVE dried tomato.  I can eat them like candy.  I am actualy drying them to use in a SW cracker recipe I love and have done several times in the past.

I also got some fresh corn and zuchinni.  I am going to try to do a combo of several recipes I have found and do a breakfast type "bread" to put avo and onion and fresh tomato and maybe a nut cheese on, for breakfasts.

I am transitioning to as much Raw as I can but still eating cooked.
I bought some Bob's Red Mill Musli.  I didn't realize it was not even organic.  It does not say it's raw.. just whole grain.  Anyway I had not eaten all day and on the way home started munching on it just dry.  Before I knew it, half the bag was gone.  It has dates and raisins in it and tasted very sweet to me. 

I guess it was not the best option!  I was going to make some raw nut milk and cashew kream to put on it for our breakfast.. I even got some raw honey. 

There are so many foods that are trigger foods for me.  Oh well, live and learn!  I won't be buying that again.

Will post my recipes for the corn/zuchinni bread as soon as I get it figured out.  Going to make my SW crackers in a couple of days and some Raw hummus to go with.  Still have to get garbanzo beans from WholeFoods.. mom said she got some from the bulk area and they sprouted.  I am going to try. 

Here is my fav. cracker so far, I came up with this thru several incarnations of crackers.  Finally I think it's perfect.. VERY flavorful:

Cary's SouthWest Flax Crackers

1/2 cup julienned sundried tomatoes

1/2 cup flax seed
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped fine
Juice from a LARGE lemon
1 T lemon rind
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup ground raw sunflower seed or raw pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon sea salt
Fresh ground pepper
Nama Shoya
Directions:
Soak sundried tomatoes for at least 1 hour in just enough water to cover them. (I added a T of Shoya to the water)
Soak flax seed for at least 2 hours in just enough water to keep them from clumping. (I soak mine over night in the fridge)
Put sundried tomatoes and soaking water in a blender pitcher (before I had a vitamix I had to do this a little at a time in a regular blender. Add garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, and olive oil to pitcher. Blend until you get a slightly chunky paste. Pour tomato paste into a bowl and stir in flax seed, ground sunflower or pumpkin seed, and sea salt.

Spread on teleflex sheets or parchment (parchment works FINE, I was really suprised)I using a rubber spatchula.
Dehydrate at 105 degrees Fahrenheit for 3-4 hours. Using a knife, carefully cut into squares or you can just break them into chip/cracker type pieces at the end. Continue to dry for and additional 6 hours. Flip crackers and dry until crisp. I generally dehydrate for a total of about 18 hours. You can use more or less jalapeño, depending on your taste.

These are really, REALLY good and very addictive.  I love the cilantro, lemon and jalapeno mix with the salt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment